Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Travel to Jinja

This morning we got up and had a great breakfast at our hotel in Kampala. We loaded up the bus and headed out to Jinja. We got to see a lot of Uganda in the day time. We saw extreme poverty and creative ingenuity. (one guy was transporting a queen size bed frame on the back of his motorcycle. Amazing.
Anyway, we drove past the Uganda football (soccer) stadium which was cool and through some rainforests.
We arrived in Jinja which is about 45 min away from the CCLSU school. This town is located right on the Nile river which is awesome. This afternoon, half the team went to go set up the medical stuff at the school and the rest of us drove to an amazing waterfalls on the Nile. Locals would travel down the category 4 and 5 rapids holding on to a water jug if you paid them 10,000 shillings. So I did that as long as he let me video tape it. (I thought about sending him down with the helmet cam on but didn't know if i would get it back or not.) 10,000 shillings is only about $3.50 or so.
After our trip to the falls we returned to the hotel. I got to go for a 5 mile run tonight, but in the middle it completely downpoured. I got soaked and the red dirt roads became quite challenging to run on. It was cool to run along the Nile river with the sun setting over the hills behind it.
Once I got back from the run and cleaned the caked on red dirt off my legs, we gathered at dinner and talked about many things including our plans for tomorrow when we go to CCLSU!
More after that.
GO CARDS!
(Do you know, I've got to get up at 3:00 in the morning if I want to follow the play by play online?  don't know if that is going to happen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment